Thursday 1 September 2011

Era uma vez, or so the story goes...

Era uma vez is the traditional way to start a fairy tale in Portugal - the Portuguese version of Once upon a time.

And so this is a meme/probably-regular-post-kind-of-thing where I'll share some first words I like of books I like.

So here are some of my favourites:

Changing Planes by Ursula K. Le Guin
The range of the airplane--a few thousand miles, the other side of the world, coconut palms, glaciers, the poles, the Poles, a lama, a llama, etc.--is pitifully limited compared to the vast extent and variety of experience provided, to those who know how to use it, by the airport.


Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.


Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling
Harry Potter was a highly unusual boy in many ways.


Very Far Away From Anywhere Else by Ursula K. Le Guin
If you'd like a story about how I won my basketball letter and achieved fame, love, and fortune, don't read this.


Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones
Far to the south of the land of Ingary, in the Sultanates of Rashpuht, a young carpet merchant called Abdullah lived in the city of Zanzib.


Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
It begins, as most things begin, with a song.


Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

...and its remade version:


Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.


Mordred's Curse by Ian McDowell
I don't care what Guinevere and Gawain say; this won't be Mordred's Life of Arthur, but Mordred's Life of Mordred. Fuck them; they can chronicle my sanctimonious progenitor's exploits if they've got the stomach for it.


The Map of Time by Felix J Palma
Welcome, dear reader, as you plunge into the thrilling pages of our melodrama where you will find adventures of which you never dreamt!

3 comments:

  1. LOL, good post. (Don't tell me you got the idea from when I gave you that first line to read the other day at the bookstore. I want copyrights!:p)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually it was one of those Universe-is-weird kind of things, I had thought of doing this post a couple of days ago, and then you showed me the book, and it was an extra nudge to do it (the definite nudge was that I don't feel like writing reviews, so I thought I might writing something else [for the blog, that is] and see if the mojo comes back)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, then I want half of the copyrights! xD

    ReplyDelete