Friday 14 January 2011

Reading Challenge - 66 to 70

66 - Minority Report by Philip K. Dick
This is actually a short story, although I have it as a book. A very small book, that can be read in a flash. But that doesn't mean it's light or simple.

There is much going on on this book. Not only it deals with paradoxes and alternate futures, there is also ethics and philosophy woven in it. The end is not surprising, but the build up to it is great, so much that there is no desire to put the book down.

I really wished that this story was written as a novel, not a short story, because what I got was a taste of something good, and I'd love to read more on this.

(4/5)

[Full Review]

67 - Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones
Castle in the Air is a sequel to companion to book set in the same world as book written by Diana Wynne Jones where Howl also appears. I loved Howl's Moving Castle, so I really was expecting more of the same in this book. And I really shouldn't have because this book is not about Howl, and he is not even important to the story.

If I started this book with expectations of a story with the characters from the first book, by the time one of them finally appeared I only wanted to know about these new amazing characters.

This is a good book, one that I feel that everyone should read – young and adult readers alike.

(4/5)

[Full Review]

68 - Last of the Wilds by Trudi Canavan
Last of the Wilds is the second book on the Age of the Five trilogy. Priestess of the White ended with the aftermath of the religious war between the Circlians and Pentadrians.

What I liked on the first book is exactly what I liked on this one. The third side of the matter, the world-building, the different races, and the emotional struggle of the characters regarding their beliefs and their way of living. It is all there, and then some more.

[Full Review]

(4/5)

69 - Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges
This is a collection of fantastical short-stories, divided into two books. There is no connection between the stories, and not all of them are good. But a lot of them are great.

Borges does have a special ability to write about fictional things in a way that makes you believe it is real, no matter how fantastical it seems. There are stories of impossible books and inexistent encyclopaedias of inexistent nations, of men that are not men, of lotteries, of labyrinths and infinity and libraries.

These stories are somewhat philosophical, and they do make you think. I hope to keep on reading books by Jorge Luis Borges.

(4/5)

70 - Artemis Fowls: The Eternity Code by Eoin Colfer
It has been years since I last read Artemis Fowl. And boy, it's good to be back to that world of fairies and 12 years old (well, now 14) evil masterminds.

Artemis Fowl and the Eternity Code is a really nice book. Eoin Colfer's writing is quirky and the story is fun – you never notice that time is passing while you read it. And you don't have to be an young adult to enjoy it!

(4/5)

[Full Review]

4 comments:

  1. This bunch seems to be all good, according to your rating. :)
    And most of these are on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, they are. December was a rush to try to finish the challenge so the books I picked were either small or something I was sure to like :) And this is quite a mixed bunch: 1 science fiction short-story, 1 humour, 1 fantasy, 1 literary fiction, 1 cyberpunk young adult - I recommend all five of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aaah...a new review, please? or other update...something? hello? is this thing on?<.<

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to post a brief update for some time, but haven't managed to do it. maybe tonight.
    In, short, I'm still alive :P

    ReplyDelete