Sunday 2 January 2011

The end of 2010 and of the Reading Challenge

My challenge was 75 books in 2010 - I thought it might be easy, but December was marked by small books and reading marathons, just so I could reach that goal. I think I used to read more when I was studying. Not because I had more time to do it, but because of the amount of time I spent on public transports.

The last few days were indeed a rush - I got to the point that I needed to read 3 books in 2 days. These last books were chosen to be read quickly: a book of Scottish Fairy Tales that has been on my bookshelf forever (and provided a good introduction to Seer of Sevenwaters); Seer of Sevenwaters, that a very good friend lent me because my copy is lost in postal limbo; and A Christmas Carol, because this year's Doctor Who Christmas Special made me want to re-read the original.

I'm also very behind on writing reviews. I'll restart writing them, now that the holiday confusion (and hangover) has passed.

I have no challenges planned to 2011, besides trying to reduce my TBR pile. Christmas wasn't as bad as I thought it would be to the amount of books to read: I received (only) 6 books, and 2 of them I've already read. My biggest challenge now is going to be reading in Spanish, so that I can get used to the language that I'll be using in the next 6 months (makes me wish for a Babel fish). I'm starting with The Cathedral of the Sea by Ildefonso Falcones (La Catedral del Mar).


But now for some stats about 2010:

This year I read almost 26 000 pages (almost 27 000 if including graphic novels). It means about 73 pages a day. 53% of the books had 300+ pages; 20% had 500+ pages. The average length of the books was 345 pages.

I averaged 7 books per month. The month I read more was March, the one I read less were February, June and August.

I enjoyed most of the books I've read: 68% were given 4 stars or more out of 5. 7% had 2.5 or less stars. 1 book was given 1 star (I didn't finish that one). 6 books received the maximum score of 5/5.

Top 10 Picks of 2010:



Goose Chase



Series that I've finished!
  • Catwings Set by Ursula K. Le Guin
  • Chronicles of Ancient Darkness by Michelle Paver
  • Percheron Series by Fiona McIntosh
  • The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
  • The Stone Dance of the Chameleon by Ricardo Pinto

I want more of this series/author!
  • China Miéville
  • Douglas Adams
  • Eoin Colfer - I want to keep on reading the Artemis Fowl series and the last book of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galax
  • Holly Black
  • Kristin Cashore - anxiously waiting for Bitterblue

3 comments:

  1. Uh-uh! 3 in common, not bad, not bad at all!:D

    (and yes, for a second I thought it was my Seer in the picture with the nuts, but looking closer I now believe it's your Heir xD)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the 3 in common were your copies :D

    (Yes, it's my Heir. Your Seer is with Ana. On closer inspection of the photo it is in the page where Cathal tells Clodagh of Johnny's orientation. Picked a page at random!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Of course it's a random page. The Universe is tricky xD)

    ReplyDelete