Tuesday 1 June 2010

Book Fair Haul, part 1

It is that time of the year, when the temperatures rise, the clouds gather threatening rain when there should be none and the book fairs pop up like mushrooms.

The biggest one here in the north of Portugal is Porto's book fair, now in its 80th edition. And it started today.

I went with some books in mind; of those I bought one: The Third God by Ricardo Pinto (O Terceiro Deus in Portuguese). I waited long for this book to be published, waiting for it be translated into Portuguese so it looked nice with the rest of the collection. It's a big book (888 pages, and I was afraid I was going to dislocate my shoulder just by carrying it around), and the last in the trilogy, so I really can't wait to read it.

I found two books in English, The legend of Sleepy Hollow and other stories by Washington Irving, and Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi.

The legend of Sleepy Hollow was one of those books that was on my maybe-to-buy/mooch/borrow list, this is, I might read it if I found it around, but I was not in a great hurry to get it. Still, it was there with a nice price and coming with "other stories", so I bought it.

Persepolis was probably one of the greatest finds in the book fair. I have watched the film, and loved it; and was aware that there was a book that was its basis. To find it in a book fair was amazing, and I had to take it home with me.

The other two books, in Portuguese, were on my wishlist for quite some time. Lord of the Light by Roger Zelazny (O Senhor da Luz, in Portuguese) and The Eye of the Heron by Ursula K. Le Guin (Explusos da Terra, in Portuguese). In fact, I had almost lost hope of ever find the last one. Both books were very old publication of pocket books, and extremely cheap.



Here they are, in all their glory!

There are other books that I found that I might buy on a future visit, and a lot more that I have to jot down the name so I can find more about it.

1 comment:

  1. And all this in THE FIRST DAY of the fair, while I was in "where the hell is this and that publisher???" mode xD

    ReplyDelete